Men’s Addiction Treatment Center
At Footprints, we believe in the gender-specific approach to treatment. That is why partial days are dedicated to our clients experience in gender-specific groups. If you are looking for a rehab center and have never attended gender-specific treatment, you may not be aware of the benefits of enrolling in a men’s addiction rehab program. At Footprints, we offer separate private residences for men, and the men in recovery groups provide a safe and therapeutic atmosphere for men to recover and heal.
Men’s Addiction Treatment Center in Pinellas County, FL
The reason gender-specific group therapy has been shown to be an effective tool in the recovery process is because women and men have some inherent differences from one another. While anyone can fall victim to addiction regardless of sex or gender, men experience addiction differently than women, both physically and mentally. Men’s-only addiction rehab programs can be more effective for long-term recovery for some of the following reasons:
- Men are more likely to develop alcohol-related problems than women. Men typically consume more alcohol than women when they drink, and they are likely to drink more frequently.
- Men are more likely to use illicit drugs and to develop drug-related problems than women.
- Men tend to be more impulsive, riskier and competitive. Many times, these traits lead them to experiment with drugs and alcohol, which can cause them to consume larger quantities to try and outdo the people around them.
- Many men feel that they need to be tough and strong due to expectations put on them by society. This encourages them to keep their issues and emotions to themselves and makes them believe they must solve their problems on their own. Not opening up about how they’re feeling or what they’re dealing with often leads them to drugs and alcohol as a way to cope with their problems.
- Studies show that men’s brains release more dopamine after drinking an alcoholic drink or doing drugs, suggesting that these substances produce more feelings of pleasure and gratification in men than women.
- Men in recovery are more likely to relapse than women.
Benefits of Men’s Addiction Rehab
Partaking in a men’s-only group therapy allows for these issues to be discussed openly in a comfortable, judgement-free environment. Forming bonds and developing trust with fellow men who are enduring similar struggles can be very beneficial in your recovery process, as you begin to truly address your addiction and the problems behind it.
Footprints’ men’s addiction treatment center is located in Treasure Island, FL, easily accessible from St. Petersburg and even Clearwater. If you are curious about what to expect from Footprints, learn more about the specifics of our drug treatment program.