Drug Rehab for Women
At Footprints Beachside Recovery, we have seen positive results with gender-specific group therapy. That is why partial days are dedicated to our clients experience in the gender specific groups. The private, separate living quarters for women ensures a personalized approach and an intimate experience to substance abuse rehabilitation. Our licensed, expressive arts therapist leads our women’s empowerment groups and explores topics such as healing, hope and empowerment. Learn more about our expert staff here.
Gender-specific group therapy has been shown to be an effective tool in the recovery process due to the fact that women and men have some inherent differences from one another. While anyone can fall victim to addiction regardless of sex, women experience addiction differently than men, both physically and mentally:
- Women tend to develop substance abuse problems faster than men.
- Women are more likely to be suffering from mood disorders, such as bipolar disorder or major depression, which contributes to their substance abuse.
- Most female drug users are also victims of sexual abuse, or have undergone some sort of significant emotional or physical trauma that caused them to turn to drugs or alcohol. The majority of these women also had at least one parent who had a history of substance abuse.
- Women’s body weight tends to be lower than men’s. They also tend to carry more fat and less water in their bodies. This causes their bodies to retain alcohol longer and exposes their internal organs to the effects of alcohol for an extended period of time.
- Women with substance abuse problems experience more health-related consequences and report problems of greater severity.
- Female addicts tend to face more barriers when seeking treatment and have more difficulty entering rehab. Women are more likely to be the main caregivers to children and many believe their responsibilities to their children and household cannot be neglected for long periods of time. This can cause them to have more difficulty attending regular treatment sessions, or stop them from getting treatment at all. Women are also more likely to report feeling shame because of their addiction and needing substance abuse treatment, and are more susceptible to feeling stigmatized.
Partaking in a women-specific therapy group allows for these different experiences to be addressed in a comfortable environment that is sensitive to the needs of women in recovery. Discussing these personal issues with other women can provide great benefits and prove to be a crucial part in the recovery process.
“I had everything I wanted in life except happiness. I found Footprints and my life changed in one day. I attribute all the great things that have come to me from my experience at this recovery center. This is not a place to be counted as a number. This family owned and operated center went over and beyond to help support me and my family throughout the hardest times of our life. If anyone is wavering in their decision on where to become sober, I highly suggest Footprints Beachside Recovery”
“This is a great place with people that really care about the people seeking treatment. We sent a loved one to footprints and had a great experience with great results. John devoted so much time to our family before anyone even stepped foot in the door and our loved one has come out of treatment as a new person!”
“It is hard to overstate the importance Footprints has had on my life… I arrived in a bad state, but over the course of my stay was able to stabilize, gain a real measure of hope, and begin the process of a lifelong recovery.”
“I had everything I wanted in life except happiness. I found footprints and my life changed in one day […] If anyone is wavering in their decision on where to become sober, I highly suggest Footprints Beachside Recovery. God Bless Them.”
“Going to Footprints was the best decision I have ever made in my life! All of the staff truly care about each and every person there. The living quarters are very nice and I met some extremely wonderful people there that I have kept in touch with. They are the most generous and caring people you could hope to find!!”
“As the mother of an adult son who has suffered with alcoholism his entire adult life, I couldn’t be more thankful for the gifts Footprints has given our family, and especially, my son’s baby girl, our granddaughter. […] It was absolutely the best investment of his time and benefits. We can’t thank you enough, but please know that we’re thankful for you each and every day.”
“Footprints was the third treatment center I had been to, and by far the best. The staff is very professional and truly cares about the needs of their clients. The location is unreal! It is located in a safe and beautiful area, the house I stayed at was probably the nicest house I’ve lived in, not even a quarter mile from the beach. I had an amazing time there while learning about myself, how to stay sober, and how to have healthy, sober friendships!”