When you’re considering options for an addiction treatment program for yourself or someone you love, you obviously want to choose a place that’s committed to helping people deal with all the underlying causes of addiction. How they deal with relapse prevention and unresolved trauma are also important factors to consider.
But what about when after treatment is complete? How does your loved one continue recovering once they’re out of rehab?
Your loved one’s daily environment and the activities they take part in all play a part in your loved one’s recovery and sobriety. Luckily, the St. Petersburg area is a beautiful place that offers plenty of sober activities for your loved one to enjoy, no matter what their passions are!
Reconnecting with Nature in Addiction Recovery
Outdoor therapy can be an invaluable asset in helping people find natural, healthy ways to experience a rush of endorphins. Opportunities to connect with nature in Florida include:
- Sunken Gardens – This 100-year-old garden is home to thousands of tropical plants and flowers. Enjoy a guided tour through this serene environment with plenty of shade and water features throughout.
- Boyd Hill Nature Preserve – You’ll find a beautiful variety of tropical landscapes in this 245-acre park. Walking trails and boardwalks present options for hiking, as well as, ideal spots for birdwatching and glimpses of wildlife. Overnight camping and guided tours are also available.
- Weedon Island Preserve – Explore over 3,000 acres along Tampa Bay on foot or on the water with a canoe or kayak. You’ll find wheelchair accessible paths and areas here, as well.
- Skyway Fishing Pier State Park – With a bait shop at the end of the pier and a variety of fish—particularly in the warmer months—these shallow flats and deep-water channels provide beautiful views all around. No boat required!
- St. Pete Beach – Voted TripAdvisor’s #4 beach in the US in 2019, this area offers all the natural beauty Florida beaches are known for. With frequent live music, nearby shops and a vintage theater, more entertainment and attractions await after sunset.
Inspire the Mind with the Arts
Art is a healthy way to expand the mind and spark creativity, and St. Petersburg has plenty of options to keep your loved one engaged:
- Dali Museum – Featuring the largest collection of Salvador Dali’s works in America, this museum showcases oil paintings, original drawings, book works, sculptures and prints. Augmented reality features that interact with your cellphone provide more details on some pieces.
- Morean Arts Center – Local, national and international artists are on display. They offer art education programs, glass blowing demonstrations and a permanent collection of world-renowned artist, Dale Chihuly.
- Museum of Fine Arts – Nearly 15,000 objects are included in this museum’s diverse collection with paintings, glass, decorative arts and pre-Columbian objects. It also includes two interior gardens.
- Duncan McClellan Gallery – Check out this rotating gallery featuring various national and international artists. With beautiful glass art, sculpture gardens and demonstrations, this destination is a feast for the eyes.
Other Attractions in St. Petersburg, FL
There’s something for everyone in St. Petersburg, Florida. History buffs will want to check out the St. Petersburg Museum of History, the oldest museum in Pinellas county. With historic artifacts, natural history items, rare photographs and more, it’s filled with incredible exhibits, events and activities.
If you’re looking for live entertainment, Mahaffey Theater features music events ranging from rock to classical, Broadway shows, comedy and dance routines. Baseball fans can take in a Tampa Bay Rays game at Tropicana Field, and don’t miss the Ted Williams Museum and Hitters Hall of Fame while you’re there.
Eating healthier is an important component of recovery, and St. Petersburg has a wide array of tasty options that can help, including The Cider Press Café. Their vegan menu of “plant-based, feel-good food” is an award-winning treat for the taste buds.
You can also take any number of sightseeing tours in and around the area on Segways, kayaks, bicycles and paddleboards for some fun, exhilarating exercise!
No matter what your loved one is interested in, St. Petersburg has plenty to keep them busy and entertained. And when your loved one is busy and enjoying life, they don’t need drugs or alcohol to make them feel fulfilled. Many, if not all of these activities, can be done as a family, giving you a chance to reconnect with your loved one and heal from addiction as a family.
Comprehensive Addiction Treatment in Florida at Footprints Beachside Recovery
At Footprints Beachside Recovery, we understand that addiction affects the entire family. Our goal is to treat the physical, mental and social causes of addiction through a holistic, multi-faceted approach. That includes family therapy to help your entire household process what you’ve experienced and to help you move forward.
Talking to a loved one about rehab isn’t easy, but it’s a vital conversation that can make a powerful difference in your family members’ lives. If you have questions about treatment, insurance or the recovery process at Footprints, contact us today.Call Now: 877-250-3935