The first step toward sobriety is often the hardest. Finding the right rehab facility for your loved one can be overwhelming with the many options that are available. How do you know which ones are accredited and actually care about your loved one’s sobriety journey?
There are ways to find drug and alcohol treatment centers that have the proper credentials and that are the best fit for you and your family.
Where to Start
Before you look at the various types of centers and the treatments they offer, the first step is finding an accredited center. The top certification to look for is the Joint Commission Gold Seal of Approval. To discover if the treatment center you have chosen has this accreditation, visit the Joint Commission’s Quality Check. This will not only list accredited centers, but will also provide information on the overall performance level of the facility.
What is the Joint Commission?
The Joint Commission is an individual, not-for-profit organization that accredits 21,000 different healthcare organizations and programs in the United States. Once a facility (voluntarily) applies for accreditation, the Joint Commission sends a team to review everything from privacy rights to emergency plans. If the Gold Seal is earned, it is recognized worldwide as a symbol of quality. The Joint Commission has a specific mission and standards:
– Their vision is that people always experience the safest, highest quality, best value healthcare across all settings.
– Healthcare programs voluntarily pursue accreditations and certifications from them.
– They focus on patients’ safety and quality of care.
– Accreditation is good for three years.
Interview Your Facility
After choosing an accredited center, it’s time to do some research. Some styles and approaches will fit your loved one’s personality more than others. Things to look for at this point include the types of therapies and counseling that are offered. Sit down with a representative from a drug and alcohol rehab center and ask them the following questions:
- What services do you offer?
- Am I eligible for treatment and care here?
- What will my expenses be?
- What is the facility’s philosophy?
- How is care individualized?
- How will I be involved in the planning of my treatment?
- Are your staff members licensed, accredited and certified for the work they do?
- What types of aftercare services are provided?
- How do you measure success?
- Do you offer support for co-occurring disorders (if applicable)?
Visit and Observe
In addition to an informal interview, other observations can give you clues as to whether this is the rehab center that fits your needs and standards.
- Do the staff seem to respect my preferences and questions?
- Are the premises well maintained, clean and safe?
- Do they explain patient rights and responsibilities?
- Is there an opportunity for family and friends to participate?
- What forms of therapy and support are offered? (ie. alternative therapies including expressive arts therapy, fitness and nutrition, equine therapy, etc.)
- Do they teach life skills for living a sober life?
Start Your Recovery Journey at Footprints Beachside Recovery
Start the search for an accredited center and help you or your loved one begin their journey to sobriety right away. You have standards for the type of care your loved one receives and at Footprints Beachside Recovery, we are committed to meeting those standards and ensuring long-term success. Our licensed professionals are ready to create your individualized treatment plan. Contact us today.
About the Joint Commission. www.jointcommission.org. Accessed on July 23, 2018.