Since no single addiction is the same, no treatment should be the same, either. Not only should treatment be personalized to the individual’s condition, it should also take into account if the patient is male or female. Women require slightly different care than men, which is why rehab centers with drug treatment for women is so beneficial.
Differences that Affect Rehab for Women
Women tend to abuse drugs and alcohol and react to those substances differently than men do. It’s no surprise then that there are factors that have a greater impact on a woman’s treatment outcome compared to men. These factors include:
– History of sexual abuse
– Marital status
– Mental health conditions
– Belief in ability to succeed
– Substances that are abused
Benefits of Women-Only Addiction Treatment
Since these differences in the sexes can affect the success of drug addiction treatment, attending a women’s-only rehab center can be beneficial for many women who want to start their recovery. These benefits can include:
1. Safety and security – Sometimes women can become addicted to drugs because of past sexual abuse and/or violence. In a traditional treatment program where men are present, they may not open up about this abuse. In rehab treatment specifically for women, they are able to feel safe about talking about this experience, allowing them to get to the root cause of their addiction. This sense of safety is especially important for women who are pregnant, as research has shown that those in their last few weeks of pregnancy may respond better to treatment in a women’s facility.
2. A nurturing environment – A nurturing environment can create a sense of safety. In a women’s- only addiction program, clients are more likely to help and support each other. They can create a strong sense of community, which is important in recovery.
3. Personalized therapy around unique issues women face – When entering treatment, women can feel guilty for what can be perceived as abandoning their families, jobs and responsibilities. There can also be issues like eating disorders and challenges with self-esteem and self-worth lurking beneath the surface. A women’s rehab center is equipped and ready to address these types of feelings many women have, so they can focus on overcoming their addiction.
4. A multidisciplinary approach – Women’s rehab centers like Footprints Beachside Recovery leverage a multidisciplinary approach and can include treatments such as:
a. Individual and group counseling
b. Cognitive behavioral therapy and other therapies
c. Dual diagnosis treatment
d. Holistic treatment options
e. Aftercare and sober living homes
5. More accepting of sexual orientations – Some women’s facilities can be more welcoming to those in the LGBT community than traditional treatment centers. This judgement-free environment makes it easier for women to open up and heal from addiction.
What to Look for in a Women’s Rehab Center
Obstacles like not having a strong support system and not being able to find someone to care for their kids while away can make treatment difficult – if not impossible – for women. While each center is unique, there are a few things to look for in a treatment center for women.
Treatment for the Whole Person. A program that address the physical and psychological aspects of addiction are the most effective for women.
Supportive Therapy. Women often define themselves by their relationships and connections, so finding a nurturing and empathetic therapist is very important.
Treatment for Addiction During Pregnancy. Pregnancy can make treatment more difficult and the center should offer medical visits and medically-assisted detox when needed.
Gender of Treatment Professionals. Some women may feel safer with female professionals, especially if they have a history of physical or sexual abuse.
Addresses Gender-Exclusive Relapse Risks. These risks for women can include:
- Low self-esteem
- Previous childhood trauma
- Eating disorders associated with drug use
- Previous sexual assault
- Difficulty ending relationships with drug users
Women’s Rehab at Footprints Beachside Recovery
This road to recovery can be full of uncertainty and doubt, but when women are surrounded by other women it can lead to a feeling of security and community. Women’s rehab facilities can provide specific programs and support needed for women to break their cycle of addiction. At Footprints Beachside Recovery, we offer separate living quarters to offer a more intimate setting and experience for women, leading to more positive treatment results.
Contact us today for information on our women’s recovery program.
1. www.drugrehab.org. (accessed on July 9, 2018)
2. NIDA. (2012). Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research Based Guide