Alcohol Rehab Center in Florida
Footprints Beachside Recovery offers unique and proven treatment programs to treat those who are suffering from alcoholism. Our holistic alcohol rehab center is located in Treasure Island, FL, just a short distance away from St. Petersburg. We utilize a number of different treatment methods, and create personalized addiction treatment plans for each individual to treat the factors that underlie alcohol addiction. Your individualized care plan will consist of an experienced and knowledgeable team, including our medical doctor, an individual therapist and a professional support staff. Our support and expert treatment team have helped hundreds of people suffering from alcoholism overcome their addiction and renew their lives.
Why is Alcohol Addiction So Prevalent?
Alcohol is the most commonly used addictive substance in the United States. According to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, 17.6 million people, or one in every 12 adults, suffer from alcohol abuse or dependence.
Alcohol is the heart of many social situations and gatherings, and the opportunities and pressures to drink are plentiful. Although most people can drink responsibly and monitor how much they consume, there are many who lack this level of self-control and are more susceptible to abuse or addiction. What starts off as “social drinking” can quickly spiral out of control for many people and turn into chronic alcohol abuse.
Factors that Contribute to Alcoholism
There are many factors that can contribute to alcohol abuse and addiction: genetics, emotional health, social status, family life growing up, past trauma, etc. After a period of heavy abuse, an individual can become dependent on alcohol and suffer withdrawal symptoms when not intoxicated. This can prompt them to drink throughout the day, no matter what the situation, just to make it through the day.
It’s at this point that addiction takes precedence over all else, damaging a person’s emotional stability, finances and career, and relationships with family, friends, and coworkers. It can be hard for someone to accept that they may need to commit to an alcoholism treatment program, but there are some signs and symptoms that can make it easier to understand the gravity of the situation.
Symptoms of Alcoholism
The warning signs of alcoholism can be easily overlooked early on, but it’s important to recognize the symptoms and get the help necessary to combat addiction. If you or a loved one are experiencing any of the following, it may be necessary to consider professional alcohol addiction treatment:
- Becoming isolated from friends and family members
- Neglecting responsibilities and acting irresponsibly
- Experiencing mood swings and exhibiting signs of irritability
- Experiencing cravings for alcohol
- Lacking control over how much alcohol you consume
- Making excuses for your drinking habits
- Experiencing blackouts or short-term memory loss
- Drinking alone/hiding your drinking habits from others
- Developing a tolerance for alcohol and needing more to reach the desired effect
- Developing a physical dependence for alcohol
The Effects of Alcohol Addiction on the Body
Whether it’s over a long period of time – or on a single occasion – alcohol abuse can have a huge impact on your health and well-being and affect virtually every organ in your body. Drinking too much can cause serious health complications and lead to a number of chronic diseases, such as:
Steatosis (Fatty Liver):
A buildup of fat in the liver which makes it more difficult for the liver to function correctly. This is the most common alcohol-induced liver disease.
An inflammation of the liver that destroys liver cells.
The most severe alcohol-induced liver disease that causes irreversible scarring of the liver and loss of liver cells. Treatment for cirrhosis can help, but this condition can’t be cured.
Inflammation of the pancreas that alters its structure and functions, including the ability to digest food properly. This condition does not heal or improve and can cause complications with other organs.
A form of heart disease that weakens and thins the heart muscle, affecting its ability to pump blood. This condition can eventually lead to heart failure.
Irregular/improper beating of the heart.
Severe alcohol abuse increases the risk of developing several types of cancer, such as cancer of the liver, pancreas, colon, throat, esophagus, mouth, and breast.
Other harmful side effects due to alcohol abuse include:
- Weight gain and high blood pressure
- Heart attack or stroke
- Symptoms of depression
- Weakening of the immune system, making you more susceptible to contract diseases such as tuberculosis and pneumonia.
- Damage to the functionality of the brain, negatively affecting coordination, behavior, and the ability to think clearly.
Alcohol Addiction Facts
- More than 10 percent of U.S. children live with a parent that abuses alcohol.
- 88,000 deaths are annually attributed to excessive alcohol use
- Alcoholism is the 3rd leading lifestyle-related cause of death in the nation
- Excessive alcohol use is responsible for 2.5 million years of potential life lost annually, or an average of about 30 years of potential life lost for each death
- Up to 40% of all hospital beds in the United States (except for those being used by maternity and intensive care patients) are being used to treat health conditions that are related to alcohol consumption
Holistic Alcoholism Treatment Program
At Footprints, we combine traditional, evidence-based treatment with a holistic approach, focusing on the mind, body, and spirit. Each client receives a comprehensive health and physical exam from our medical doctor, and is assigned their own individual therapist. From there, their addiction recovery consists of many different practices, including group and individual therapy, trauma therapy, addiction therapy for families, dual diagnosis groups, yoga and meditation on the beach, expressive arts therapy, learning relapse prevention strategies and more.
Begin Your Recovery at Footprints, an Alcohol Rehab Center in Florida
At Footprints, we are committed to helping you overcome your addiction and restore you to a life of happiness. Located on the beautiful shores of the Gulf of Mexico, our Florida rehab center provides a natural and comfortable environment for you to heal and begin the journey to recovery.